Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Foreign Fourth


July 4th as an expat is always interesting. And by interesting, I mean "dull". I always want to do something, but I usually end up just making a flag fruit pizza and singing the Star Spangled Banner by myself. It’s just about as boring as it sounds. This year as July 4th was approaching, I kept wishing that there were some picnic or barbeque I could go to.  Then, the day before, I decided to take the bull by its redcoat tails and organize my own bash. I texted two American coworkers, and they were both excited too (I had saved them from their own fate of lonely high notes), so it was set! One girl brought her “native” boyfriend, who was at first apprehensive about being around “all of those Americans”. I guess we’re a scary bunch, or she had exaggerated the size of the party to him. There were three Americans and two “natives”, including my incredibly supportive husband who was just as excited as I was about the party. He even hooked up his laptop to the TV so we could watch youtube videos of fireworks. On the menu were “grilled” burgers,

baked beans (with bacon bits!!!), chips, homemade lemonade, and, of course, a flag fruit pizza.

I had brought over some little flags a few years ago, and we did get a little flag waving in during the fireworks finale.


Everyone had fun, and no one was singing off key alone. This land was made for you and MEEEEEEEEE!

2 comments:

  1. I was laughing hysterically imagining the singing of the Star Spanged Banner off key! Interesting flag too! I'm sure it was delicious. You sure had to improvise. Good for you for making it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean everybody that was singing off key had company?

    ReplyDelete